Friday, June 10, 2011

The days are just packed!

Well I have been in Stillwater for nine days. So far, our house has mice, spiders, and ants. I have been systematically dealing with the spiders as I find them, and ant traps and spray have taken care of the pesky creatures, but the mice were another issue. I found out from one of my other roommates that the house had mice when we moved in (no one told me?!), but for some reason they thought they would just... go away... Right. So on Sunday I found a little brown present left by one of them on my pillow. I later discovered chewed holes in some wrapped candies that my mom gave me for my birthday (21!!).

Austin and I promptly got traps from Wal-Mart and set them up, baited with peanut butter. When they were empty the next day, we discovered that the crafty mice had licked all of the bait off without tripping the trap. Those wily critters. I kept finding chocolates around my room. They had *somehow* gotten on my desk, dragged the candy across the room to the closet and shredded the wrappers. I found chocolate in my shoes, behind the door, under my bed, on my desk chair... How frustrating. The chocolates now live with Austin until the coast is clear.  The landlord was called, and you know what she said? "You are pretty much on your own... Go get some poison." Excuse me. You, as the owner, are responsible for keeping the house vermin-free. I am paying rent. Either get rid of the mice or I will get a cat and not pay the pet deposit.

We took matters into our own hands, though, and got some sticky traps (I know, they're awful, but seeing as how they were too smart to trip the spring traps and our landlord refused to call the exterminator, sticky traps were the next best thing). I baited them with chocolate and we got two mice within two hours. I haven't seen anymore, but we did set out poison packets and those have been nibbled, so we might find more later. I guess I thought that they would disappear, but when they didn't and I kept finding nibbled chocolate shreds and poop on my bed and the floor, I declared war.

Oh, and the transmission on my car is going out. My mother's bike has been my new best friend, but my legs are in a constant state of ache. The car will be towed back to Tulsa next week because apparently there is no one in Stillwater who is good enough to fix it.

My good friends from Tulsa, Haden and Lydia, came to Stillwater on Wednesday night and we all stayed up til the wee hours of the morning, drinking adult beverages and watching the Emperor's New Groove and eating Pringles and peanuts. Such a good way to spend a night.

I started my new job at the Starbucks in Stillwater. Well, it's not really new because I just transferred from Tulsa, but still, it's been interesting. I definitely miss my old store, but hopefully I will come to like this one too.

Oh friends, these days have been an adventure. Hopefully there will be more to come, but none involving broken cars and little rodents.

1 comment:

  1. You. Text this number: 918.497.664eight.
    It's me and I lost your digits. :)
    Happy Birthday, by the way!!
    I totally thought it was the 20th, for some reason...
    I was thinking of you the other day and how much fun we could have at Dave and Buster's.
    Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete