Monday, February 28, 2011

The Stresses of Life... The Beauty of Life...

I feel like I have been wining a lot lately about how much I have going on, and I apologize. I'm sure you don't really care about that haha. Hopefully after Tuesday (tomorrow), things will slow down and life will be normal again.

However, it's time to focus on the positive things in life. God has given us such a wonderful opportunity here - living on this planet that He created, eating the fruit of the earth, and being able to know Him. Why, then, do I focus so much on the crap of life? Deadlines, homework, work meetings, stressful situations in which homework partners don't hold up their end of the bargain.

Yesterday in church, a man spoke about God showing him to enjoy the everyday details: his daughter's laughter and the light in their eyes, the smell of coming rain, bringing home a paycheck and putting food on the table. He spoke about Christ's death for us, and how His sacrifice is present in those wonderful, everyday details. We take communion to commemorate His suffering once a month for 10 minutes on a Sunday before moving on to announcements and lunch, but we should acknowledge and appreciate His Table every moment of every day. He encouraged us to take notice of the everyday details, and to "drink deep" from the cup of communion as we notice them.

Today, I am sitting at Shades of Brown, a local coffee shop on Brookside. It's dreary and cold outside. My shoulders are sore. Where are those little details for me today?

They are in my cup of hot coffee.
They are in the jazz playing on the speakers.
They are in the smell of rich espresso coming my way from the machine across the bar.
They are in the little girl tottling around with her mother, pink ruffled jumper, bright blue tights, short, tousled blonde hair, chubby face, bubbly giggle, endless curiosity.
They are in the beautiful, fluffy Alaskan Malamute outside, waiting while his owner enjoys a cup o' joe.
They are in the barista who always seems to have words of wisdom about how his day is going.
Oh, and they are in the sun peeping through the clouds to make the day warm.

Those are the little details that remind me of Christ and His love, and that make me happy to be alive.

What are the little details for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment