Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Thankful Things

When I was young, my parents would convene our family in their bedroom or in the living room or some other place in our house big enough to fit all of us, for family prayer time. We divvied up different topics of prayer to each kid: our family, guidance for the government, protection for the military, school, etc. Once I got smart and said "Can I pray for everything tonight?" Surprised, my parents said yes. I proceeded to bow my head and say, "Dear God, I pray for all the problems in the world, that You would fix them. Amen." I think my dad thought it was cute, but I tried to pray the same thing the next night and it didn't fly.

Before we prayed, though, we would be asked for our "thankful things" - things for which we were thankful that happened during the day, or just something for which we were continuously thankful. We were required to come up with at least one thing, and usually we could. If we couldn't, we would say something like "I'm thankful to that I am breathing."

This all came out my attempt every day to find joy in the everyday details , which turned into "For what am I thankful?"

I am thankful...
- that my friend is late to coffee this morning so I can sit and be thankful
- for the sunshine outside
- for money to buy a Bumble (chai and banana - freaking awesome)
- for this baby 
- for breathing
- for this wonderful fiesta/hispanic/mambo music paying at Shades
- for my best friend, who agreed to do a Bible study with me
- for my wonderful boyfriend

And a lot of other things that I

No comments:

Post a Comment