Thursday, April 21, 2011

Looking Forward


In two weeks (well, fifteen days to be exact), I will graduate from Tulsa Community College with an Associate's Degree in Liberal Arts. I will go to New York City for a couple of days with some good friends. I will move to Stillwater, OK to share a house with three other girls. I will start a new facet of my job at the Starbucks there. I will work full time for the summer and save money (something at which I have never excelled) for the school year. 

My mind has been swimming with all the possibilities. Change is so near I can taste it. I keep looking at things in my room, trying to decide if I will take this with me or leave that behind to be slowly processed into or out of my life. I have been choosing which books to take with me and they would already be packed away if I could find a spare box big enough. I have refrained from stripping my walls of posters and paintings because.. where would I put them? They would probably end up leaned against the wall, a few feet below where they had originally hung. 

But wait. I haven't graduated yet. I still have to finish these two weeks of classes. At this point, I am failing my Spanish 4 class because of various occurrences and happenings and I am not completely innocent of procrastination. According to my professor, there is still hope, so as soon as I hit the "Publish Post" button, I will be living and breathing Spanish in a desperate attempt to graduate and keep my Phi Theta Kappa Honors Society membership. 

My mind is constantly leaping forward to May 6, the day I walk with hundreds of other students, draped in a bright blue cap and gown, to receive my diploma, but I am constantly pulling it back to the present where there are still many loose ends flapping in the wind. If I do not attend to things in the present, I will be unable to attend to things in the future. 

God give me the patience to push through these fifteen days, which are coming to an end all too quickly, and have mercy on me and my Spanish class.  

No comments:

Post a Comment