Saturday, April 2, 2011

Ohhh.

Pardon the unintended, far-too-long hiatus. There is something to be said for procrastinating on doing your copious amounts of homework during Spring Break: Don't do it. So, needless to say, the last couple of weeks have been non-stop. Homework, preparing speeches, helping my brother move into his super sweet apartment downtown, keeping up with my online Old Testament class. Oh and work. 

Speaking of work... Yesterday I went in at 10:30. At 10:45, the power went out. At 12:15, it came back on. So what were we doing for that hour and a half that we had no ability to make espresso drinks or frappuccinos? We cleaned. Ohhh did we clean. We were able to serve iced tea, iced chai, and iced coffee while we had it, by keeping track of what we sold and making change from the tip jar. Inevitably, people came in and asked, after we explained that we could not make espresso drinks because we had no power, if they could have a latte or a frappuccino, or if they could use the wifi. How many times did I say "Well that requires electricity, and we don't have it right now"? I have no idea. On the bright side, we got everything cleaned we could possibly clean, so our store is bright and shiny now. 

Last night, I watched a movie with some friends of mine from high school. The movie was titled "Devil", which I found to be all too appropriate. You might be wondering, "Why in the world would anyone want to watch a movie called "Devil"?" Believe me, I was wondering the same thing all last night while I was waiting for the Devil to appear over my bed, ready to cause my horrific death by some injury to my neck/throat. Brief synopsis: Five people get on an elevator in a tall office building. About twenty floors up, the elevator gets stuck. The lights begin flickering, and one by one, as the lights flicker off for thirty seconds at a time, each person is violently killed. As the story progresses, the police and fire department are called to try to rescue the people in the elevator, while the passengers are frantically turning against each other, trying to figure out who is killing them. One security guard, a Spanish Catholic, knows exactly what is going on: The Devil has taken human form and is one of the passengers, causing the lights to flicker and killing each person. Freaky.

 I went through various methods of dealing with my fear: closing my eyes so I couldn't see the Devil appearing over my bed, keeping my eyes open to convince myself that nothing was actually there to take my soul, praying out loud for other people, ect. There is a reason I don't watch scary movies: I can't sleep until the sun comes up. I know that this movie had a message of forgiveness, which was cool, but when you're drifting between the grips of sleep and wakefulness, you forget the forgiveness and manage to focus only on the scary devil person. If you can handle scary movies and you think this one might be good, go for it. If you can't handle scary movies, definitely don't try to handle this one. 

No comments:

Post a Comment