Monday, January 17, 2011

Best sandwich to ever hit your unsuspecting taste buds.

So I just made this sandwich. It is freaking awesome. How can you achieve sandwich success? Well, I'll tell you.

Freaking Awesome Sandwich

Two pieces of whole wheat bread (I used Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat).
One avocado, smashed and lightly salted (lumpy is okay).
Deli sliced turkey (I used Hillshire Farms Oven Roasted Turkey Breast) or your choice of meat.
Two slices of provolone cheese (I used Sargento Natural Provolone).
Baby spinach leaves (I used Organic Girl Baby Spinach).
Alfalfa sprouts.
Sliced tomato.

Spread the avocado on the two slices of bread - it replaces mayo. Add the sliced turkey in whatever fashion and quantity you desire. Layer on the provolone cheese. Add the sliced tomato. Top with a generous amount of baby spinach. On the other piece of bread, add the alfalfa sprouts, gently pressing them into the avocado so they don't go everywhere. Very carefully place that piece of bread on top of the mountain of goodness. Vola. Sandwich. Enjoy with iced tea and lots of napkins. 

I enjoy this sandwich because all of the ingredients themselves are subtle enough in taste, but when combined, they create a medley of blissful awesomeness. And it's healthy, so props to that! 

By the way, you may be wondering why I am eating turkey and cheese while I am supposed to be fasting. Usually it takes me a few days to get over a cold, but I am STILL sick. I am on the tail end of it, but still. I was not getting the nutrients (excessive protein) my body needed, and it was no good. We are planning to try another fast that is not so extreme. My body couldn't handle the multiple stressers of being sick and a drastic change in diet, and Austin, as an architecture student, has to pull all-nighters on a regular basis, and he needs the extra nutrients too. Maybe this diet will work better in the summer when delicious farmers markets are on every street corner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment