Saturday, January 22, 2011

Time to grow up

Watching my grandparents get older and figuratively (and literally) waste away - my grandma has lost 50 pounds pretty recently due to a new extremely restrictive diet and no teeth - I have come to realize that age stops for no one. Today at lunch my mom, out of the blue, asked me if I had ever thought about what kind of mother I would be. Either this was completely arbitrary, or she knows something I don't. That started me thinking about my plans for next year, and the year after, and what I am going to do with my life, and when I am going to get married, and what kind of home I want, and how many kids I want, and how many dogs I can handle at one time, and where I want to live with all these kids and dogs and husband.

And then I realized that I am really excited to grow up.

I hear it's not all it's cracked up to be, but still. It's worth a shot. I can't wait to have my own place next year and do the dishes and clean the bathroom and mop the floor and all those other menial tasks. The idea of being on my own and making my own food and *insert myriad of other exciting things people do when they live alone* positively thrills me.

But I also realized that all this will take an adult. Not a 20 year old kid who has been living off of her parents at home and going to community college and working at Starbucks. That's not me or anything...

So it's time for me to grow up. I see myself as pretty responsible, but living on my own and going to school *at OSU yeah yeah* and working will take that responsibility to a whole new level.

It's going to be a challenge, but I am chomping at the proverbial bit to take it on.

Bring it, adulthood. I'm ready. I think.

1 comment:

  1. It's NOT all it's cracked up to be... It's a whole lot more. :)
    It can be overwhelming. It is definitely scary. You will lack and be in want and not allow enough for rent at least once. You will hear monsters in the closet and might get a little paranoid about your neighbors after checking the crime reports. But. BUT. Oh, that glorious but. You will get the glow of a mother hen with a new brood watching your parents come over to your tastefully decorated why-no-I-wasn't-cleaning-for-6-hours-straight little kingdom and watch that dim light of understanding that THIS is who Sally is while they actually compliment you on your taste in rugs. You will cry with relief when the coupon ad comes on Wednesday and you had just run out of laundry soap and there it is for 3 dollars less! You will blush and get the willies when you finally learn how to get a moist chicken done up with rosemary and vegetables and Austin looks deeply into your eyes and says "Wow."
    Feeling "ready" means that your adrenaline is high enough to get you excited enough to not quit when the first hurdle comes. (you're probably not actually ready, but that's ok. No one ever is.) But when they start coming faster and faster and there are more and more of them, don't panic. I'll let you in on a little secret. They won't stop. That's what being an adult is. You've arrived! Ain't it great? >.<
    So when you feel overwhelmed, just do what the rest of us do: collapse on whoever is nearest, ask for help, ask for wine, and be willing to get an attitude adjustment to hear from God again. Because that's what friends are for. <3

    ReplyDelete